Sunday, February 20

Fading


Fading
Originally uploaded by Dr. Doom.
Have you ever noticed that any city on the eastern seaboard has a few magnificent, stone churches? Things of beauty. Stained glass, gargoyles, intricate art work - built in a time of cheap labour and a more religious society. I know in Saint John, N.B. and in Moncton several of these old churches are running into financial trouble. I wonder if anything so beautiful will ever be built again in this age of generic walmart-style soulless square boxes. Who wants to spend money on ornate churches when you can buy ATVs and digital cameras every 4 months as they go obsolete. I just wonder sometime if we are sitting at a rare and non-repeatable time in history where buildings built in the first couple of generations of the industrial revolution are fading away, never to return. The world is becoming too crowded now - room only for form and function, optimal use of resources. No time anymore to waste on making things pretty.

Aplogies for the blurry shot. It was cold and I didn't want to get out of my car to set up a tripod, and I have the 10-coffee a day shaky-hand syndrome....

No comments: